The Houston Federation of Teachers in conjunction with the American Federation of Teachers offers teacher members in HISD the opportunity to participate in the Teacher Leader Program. HFT is seeking teachers and paraprofessionals who would like to take an active role in influencing policy in the following areas, for example:
- Compensation – Pay, Benefits, Career Pathways
- Economics – How are resources allocated to schools? Are those resources being used efficiently?
- Programs – What type of programs should be offered. Should they be one-size fits all or differentiated?
- Leadership – Development of leaders among school employees, parents, and elected officials. The role of SDMC, DAC, and Employee Consultation in making policy.
- Employee Evaluation - the need for fair and meaningful accountability
- Effective classroom management techniques without using exclusionary discipline practices.
- National Board Certification – If they choose participants will be able to go through the process of becoming a Nationally Board Certified Teacher.
Teachers selected for the program will:
- Increase knowledge of major challenges facing the teaching profession through readings and discussions with leading policy experts
- Improve leadership skills
- Be recognized by the public and media
- Represent school personnel nationwide as spokespersons and become members of an nationwide community
- Participate in conducting research and using it in influencing policy
- Be awarded up to a $1,500 stipend.
We are seeking a diverse group of teacher-leaders who are active in their school communities and have track records in working to improve schools.
The application is due no later than September 21, 2019. If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact Andy Dewey, firstname.lastname@example.org
All portions of the application must be submitted or the application will be considered incomplete: (1) application; (2) commitments; (3) and two letters of recommendation.
All applicants are required to attend a 30-45 minute group interview during the week of September 30 - October 4, 2019.
To be accepted into the program the applicant must commit to all 8 sessions and completing the action-research project.
Teacher Leaders Program
Schedule of Meetings 2019-2020
Saturday Meetings: 9 am - 4pm
(Unforeseen circumstances may require a change in dates.)
October 19, 2019
November 16, 2019
December 14, 2019
January 25, 2020
February 22, 2020
March 28, 2020
April 25, 2020
May 16, 2020 (Project Presentations)
Direct questions to Andy Dewey email@example.com